Vice Presidential Candidate - Sonya Reichwein

Scott's picture

Use this topic to discuss the candicacy of Sonya Reichwein.

Scott
—————
"An intractable problem can only be resolved by stepping beyond conventional solutions." — Ozymandias

Scott's picture

Re: Vice Presidential Candidate - Sonya Reichwein

Let's record the candidate statement for posterity, and accountability.

I have been proud to serve as your Vice President these past two years and am asking for your vote a second time. I have grown and learned a great deal these last two years and in my years as an activist with 503 and my home local, DMV 735. I understand the current issues facing our Union. I have taken an active role in the strategic vision planning for our union and I am committed to working to achieve that vision.

Our members need our Union to focus on strong contracts, growing our local and increasing member involvment at all levels. Furthermore, I know the importance of integrity in our leadership and I am the only vice presidential candidate who did not support a $140,000 payout in overtime to our current president.

Integrity is a matter of doing what you say you will do. When a person steps into a leadership role, he or she is watched by those around them. I have proven my integrity time and time again in my various leadership roles. I have demonstrated my commitment to the well-being of our members and protecting the rights of all our members.

For example, I have served as a bargaining delegate for the ODOT coalition the past three contracts and for the current contract. I also had the opportunity to chair the most recent DAS/OUS bargaining conference. I know the importance of teamwork when it comes to standing up for member rights in the workplace. We need members to come forward and make this union their own. Our members have untapped skills and talents that could help move our issues. We need member organizers and activists who will be there at the table and in the worksites to win a good contracts.

A strong, educated steward structure is equally important as we need members who will stand up and enforce those contracts away from the table. When I was president of the DMV local and as the current chief steward of the DMV local, I worked, and am working, hard to educate our stewards and strengthen our structure. I have developed effective relationships with the stewards and activists in our local and communicate effectively to make sure the work gets done.

I am asking you to vote for myself, Linda Burgin, Barbara Casey and Leslie Frane. The officers you choose to lead us will face new challenges. We will oversee the implementation of our new structure. Your leaders will need to look closely at how we represent our members, how we communicate our members' needs to the board and how we turn that dialogue into action. I am looking forward to being part of a strong leadership team, not a group of individuals. I am looking forward to the future. I have done the work, I am doing the work, I have vision and I have passion.

Scott
—————
"An intractable problem can only be resolved by stepping beyond conventional solutions." — Ozymandias

Post new comment

By posting content to EyeOnThe503.com, you agree to be bound by the Terms of Service. This includes the use of Mollom's web service to monitor submissions for content, which is governed by Mollom's Privacy Policy.

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Avast! This website be taken over by pirates on September 19th. Yarr!

More information about formatting options