Executive Director Candidate - Maggie Neel

Scott's picture

Use this topic to discuss the candicacy of Maggie Neel.

Scott
—————
"An intractable problem can only be resolved by stepping beyond conventional solutions." — Ozymandias

Scott's picture

Re: Executive Director Candidate - Maggie Neel

Let's record the candidate statement for posterity, and accountability.

Union activist 20 years * President CSEA Local 7 years * Current President Local 083 Oregon State University 5 years * Steward 8 years * District 3N Director * Current Higher Ed Assistant Director SEIU 503

"It's not just about being the biggest union. We must always be the best union."

A union is only as strong as members make it. Since 1999, I've worked to help this union serve every member. As your next Executive Director, I'll bring our union back to what it should always be: a union of, by and for every member. As a front line worker, I've confronted problems like you face every day on the job. I developed union workshop programs and taught negotiation skills to hundreds of members in my first union. I helped win fair contracts to raise wages and improve benefits and working conditions for thousands of state and university workers. Members can win big at the bargaining table, but to truly win for workers in Oregon, I'll fight to enforce each and every contract and protect the rights of every member. As Executive Director, I'll always remember all members deserve equal service and respect.

• Bargaining: Chair, Alternate Chair and table rep for three Higher Ed contracts, including DAS Central Table economic issues for last two DAS/OUS contracts. Statewide Research and Negotiation Committee member California School Employees Association representing classified union employees statewide.
  • Contract Administration: Led successful OSU campaign for ongoing member meetings with University President and HR. Taught successful negotiation strategies. Won grievances, mentored and advised stewards and fought for strong steward networks.
  • Organizing: Members win every time new members join our union. I'm dedicated to meeting the needs of both long-term and new members and have recruited member leaders, activists and stewards for over 10 years.
  • Politics: Helped elect legislators who work for working families and lobbied legislators to fund quality contracts and hold the line on healthcare.
  • Communication: Developed communication strategies for Higher Ed and DAS contract campaigns. Coordinated and led local and statewide contract rallies. Facilitated campus-wide member e-mail and web communication at OSU.
  • Fiscal Management: Supervise $18 million annual SEIU Local 503, OPEU budget responsibly on behalf of 44,000 members. Oversee OSU local budget.

Kathleen Lamar, Department of Justice, Local 137 says:
"When I met Maggie Neel, I was impressed by her skill as an organizer and advocate for workers. I've gotten to know her over the years as a District Director, Women's Council volunteer and activist. I'm continually astounded by Maggie's honesty, open-minded fairness and, most of all, her integrity. As a leader, Maggie's decisions are sound. As a negotiator, Maggie is tenacious. Her activism and true leadership are not only amazing, but motivating. Maggie Neel is a strong voice and is committed to you, the members. Now is the time for a new vision. Please join me and vote Maggie Neel for Executive Director."

Scott
—————
"An intractable problem can only be resolved by stepping beyond conventional solutions." — Ozymandias

Post new comment

By posting content to EyeOnThe503.com, you agree to be bound by the Terms of Service. This includes the use of Mollom's web service to monitor submissions for content, which is governed by Mollom's Privacy Policy.

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Avast! This website be taken over by pirates on September 19th. Yarr!

More information about formatting options